Wellington Railway Station

Main content

When opened in 1937, this railway station was New Zealand’s largest building and one of the first seismic proofed structures in the country.

The building covers 0.6 hectares and the original floor area was 2 ha, comprising 250 rooms and 1.2 km of corridors. Two storeys were added to the northern end of the Featherston Street wing during World War II.

The station was built to accommodate 675 railways department head office and district staff, and also to replace Wellington’s two former stations, Lambton and Thorndon.

 

Address: Bunny Street
Pipitea
Wellington

Some events happening at this venue